Hey writers! Made any resolutions to get some of your work out there this year? Solo Collective and The Playhouse are now accepting submissions for the sixth annual Emerging Playwright Competition. They choose 5 winners from the submitted monologues and present their work at Solo Flights, an emerging writers showcase in April.
- Typed double-spaced
- Pages numbered
- A title page with your name and contact info (including email address) – do NOT put your name on each page
- Max. length 2500 words (monologues longer than this will not be considered)
- $20 Submission fee plus $5 membership fee if you are not already a member of Solo Collective (cheques only, made out to Solo Collective Theatre Society)
- We are looking at monologues that are one-person shows, or ones that can be developed into one-person shows (please DO NOT just send excerpts of monologues from multi-character full-length plays)
Deadline is February 16, 2008. Five winners will be announced on March 24th, and will receive:
- Written feedback from two dramaturges
- A two-hour workshop with a professional actor and a dramaturge
- A public reading by professional actors at SOLO FLIGHTS, our Emerging Writers’ Showcase, at the Playhouse Theatre Co. Production Centre
- A profile on Solo Collective’s web site, and other promotion through Solo Collective and the Playhouse associated with the showcase event
Please submit your properly formatted monologue (see below) to:
Solo Collective Theatre
3001 Woodland Drive
Vancouver, BC V5N 3R3
The competition judges are Aaron Bushkowsky (co-Artistic Director of Solo Collective), Jan Derbyshire (playwright and dramaturg), and Xanthe Faulkner (Dramaturg Intern, Solo Collective).
Every competition entrant will receive written feedback from two of the judges.