Resolved: In the interest of its proliferation and popularization, Canadian theatre needs more creative marketing solutions.
Magnetic North kicks off its Industry Series tomorrow at 1 pm with a keynote address delivered by – wait for it – a real, live marketer! Richard Laermer is CEO of the New York marketing firm RLM PR and co-author of a book called Punk Marketing: Get Off Your Ass and Join the Revolution. He is also, incidentally, a theatre critic and produced playwright. His public speaking engagements are described as “outlandish”, yet “logical”. I’m in.
Some highlights from the Punk Marketing Manifesto:
1. Avoid Risk and Die – In times of change the greatest risk is to take none at all.
4. Don’t Pander – Customers are important but they are not necessarily right.
6. Expose Yourself – A relationship of trust between brand and consumer, like that between two people, is built upon honesty.
10. Don’t Be Seduced By Technology – The media is not the message anymore. The message is the message is the message.
12. No More Marketing Bullshit – Get to the point. Express it clearly and simply. Einstein said — we believe he meant marketers: “Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler.”